Monday, December 17, 2007

Merry Chirstmas

I know we all hear this over and over about the true meaning of Christmas, but I found this quote to be kind of neat. I also thought my Catholic audience would appreciate it.

With Christmas fast approaching, Pope Benedict XVI is warning Catholics
about the temptations of materialism, saying children are being raised in a
consumeristic culture that trumpets "false models of happiness." The pontiff
laments that consumerism keeps youth from searching out real truth and meaning,
and that "adolescents, youth and even children are easy victims of the
corruption of love, deceived by unscrupulous adults who, lying to themselves and
to them, draw them into the dead-end streets of consumerism." [AP, 12/8/07]

I teach Sunday school to 9th and 10th grade students. Recently we have been talking about the five love languages. If you don't know what they are go here, then take a quiz here to find out what you are, then come back and finish reading.
I was very surprised to find that out of the five languages; gifts, quality time, acts of service, words of affirmation, and physical touch, not one kid had gifts in his/her top three love languages. In fact, almost all of them had quality time. Something to think about when trying to decide what to give those you love this season.

Julie and I have found ourselves especially busy this year with all the stuff that "has" to get done. I hope you are able to find some quiet time this year.

2 comments:

Julie said...

The closer I get to Christmas, the less I care about the gifts, and the more I just want to have a nice dinner, and sit around, and play Euchre, and go to church.

Bethany said...

I have to admit, I do have gifts as one of my top love languages. But I'm also very against consumerism as much as I can be. I'd just about drop over if Ben gave me a homemade gift. Anyway, I'm glad to know that I'm in line with the big guy on the whole anti-consumerism thing. I've got to assume we're both in line with the Big Guy on the topic. ;)